Sunday, November 7, 2010

Time (Burning)


 Time (Burning)

What a mysterious creation. The wonderful mechanism that creates so much opportunity for ourselves but also contains the driving factor for so much pain. Do we have enough of it? It's the creation of something that governs how we live in every single way from how long we work to establishing events and holidays. Is it even necessary? It's simply there for control. Control on the things we do and how we do them. It decides the value of things and separates what has become and what will become of us. In recent years, especially through college, time has been the essential essence of determining what I do and how I can get it done. I wish there were days where all other judgements and responsibilities would just flee from me and I could discover what I want and how I want.

An interesting fact about time is that it can also measure. Light from a single star is so old that it left hundreds of thousands of years ago but we see it today. People who walked the earth thousands of years ago looked on the same stars and wondered the same thoughts. It has this haunting factor to it that if you really think about the expansion of the universe and all thats in it, then me and you aren't so amazing. In fact were pretty irrelevant to everything going on out there, but at the same time it has this comforting factor as well. We have something in common with the historical greats that walked the earth before us. We were all amazed by the beauty of our sun or the travels of a comet who has never burned out. Think about that. We have observations and hypotheses on how our universe is created but no one is right and nor will they ever be. I look at this picture of a comet and wonder what all it's seen. What it would think of life on earth as it passes our very small planet every not so often? What purpose does it serve if any? Does it even have to have a purpose? I think it's quite amazing in the fact that time doesn't govern it. It sails across the galaxy so freely. One day it will burn out but while its burning, its burning bright. This is beginning to sound like a rant.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I get caught up thinking about little things a lot. Things that weigh me down and stress me out. When I look at stuff like this simple little comet, I'm just amazed. Time is always gonna be present but it doesn't have to control us. We can still do the things we want and become who we want to be.  The comet is really a metaphor for me and you. We can break away from the norm and while we're trying to do what it is we love we will burn. One day we all burn out but WE will burn out bright. 

With love,
William Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment